React Native Primer Workshop – You’re Invited!
You’re invited to join us for a FREE React Native Primer workshop! Learn the fundamentals and get hands-on training to build your own mobile app with this growing, cross-platform framework used by Facebook, Instagram, Airbnb, Tesla, Skype, and more.
Airship will host and instruct this free introductory workshop — open for developers of ALL skill levels*. It’s our way of giving back to the Birmingham tech community we love!!
Attendees can participate in-person or remotely. Please register and tell us how you’ll be attending for further must-know instructions.
- Date: Sat., Nov. 11, 2017
- Time: 9 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- Where: 2829 2nd Avenue S, STE 340, Birmingham, AL 35233 (Pepper Place – Dr. Pepper Building)
This event was previously held on Nov. 11. Registration now closed.
- Bring your laptop (MacBook preferred)
- Bring your mobile device (iOS or Android)
- Download Expo XDE on your laptop and the Expo app on your mobile device (iOS or Android)
- Github login (so you can access code and sample data when building your app)
- Understand the differences between React Native & other hybrid app frameworks
- Build responsive user interfaces for both iOS and Android platforms
- Style components, including understanding Flexbox & React Native styling
- Import and use external libraries into a React Native project
- Target individual platforms at compile time for platform-specific integration
- Implement basic animations using React Native APIs
- Build and run applications in both simulator and device environments
Airship Builders will be leading the workshop, blending lectures + step-by-step guidance as you build your own app with React Native. Get a printable version of our workshop overview here.
Part 0 – Welcome
- Discuss Airship’s experience with React Native
- How we’ve used it, why we love it, and why we are committed to it!
Part 1 – Intro to React Native
- Detail how it’s different from other hybrid app frameworks and the pros/cons
- Define need-to-know concepts and fundamentals to create an app
- Provide basics of Expo and how to use
- Discuss troubleshooting and must-have tools
Part 2 – React Native Components
- Demonstrate new and commonly-used ES6/ES7 features
- Explain basics of JSX
- Define React Native Components and which ones are key
- Define React Component Lifecycle methods and their roles
Part 3 – Building & Styling First Screen
- Outline the app features and start building your first screen!
- Discuss the similarities and differences between React Native and CSS
- Walk through styling properties and layout with Flexbox
- Walk through adding views and connecting with sample data
Part 4 – Refactor & Build App
- Build the remainder of our app
- Summarize differences between functional and class components
- Explain modals, their role, and how to create them
- Discuss STATE and how it’s used to control data shown in app
- Discuss animations and UI properties
- Bask in the glory that is an awesome, working app built using React Native!!